Art and Design
Our Art and Design Curriculum engages, inspires and challenges pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they are able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They develop an understanding of how art and design both reflects and shapes our history whilst continuing to contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Our curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- experience a range of different techniques and mediums
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- develop skills and techniques in drawing, painting, sculpture and printing
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
Key Stage 1:
Pupils are taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting, sculpture and printing to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and eras, and making links to their own work
Key Stage 2:
Pupils are taught:
- to develop their techniques (including their control and their use of materials) with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting, sculpture and printing with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history
"Art day was amazing because we got to learn about lots of different artists and learn new skills!"
"I love art because it is fun and we get to learn different techniques and use different materials."
"I really enjoy using my hands and modelling. We get to be really creative in art and use our own ideas."