Equality Objectives, 2023-2024
At Newborough, we aim to meet our obligations under the public sector equality duty by having due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations across all characteristics - between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
How we Aim to Eliminate Discrimination at Newborough:
- Implementation and review of our SEND and Inclusion Policy, Intimate Care Policy, Supporting Pupils with Medical Needs Policy.
- Reporting, responding to and monitoring all pre incidents.
- Our Behaviour and Anti-bullying Policy ensures that all children are treated with dignity, feel safe at school and addresses any prejudicial behaviours.
- Regularly reviewing our curriculum design to ensure it is entrenched in spiritual, moral, social and cultural learning opportunities which meet the needs and interests of all learners; that it provides opportunities to understand human rights and fundamental British Values.
- Teaching is of the highest quality to ensure children reach their potential and all pupils are given equal entitlement to success.
- Tracking pupil progress to ensure that children make expected or better progress from their starting points, and intervening when necessary to diminish any gaps.
- Ensuring that all pupils have the opportunity to access extracurricular provision.
- Listening to and monitoring views and experiences of pupils and adults to evaluate the effectiveness of our policies and procedures.
How we Aim to Foster Good Relations Across all Characteristics:
- Ensuring that equality and diversity are embedded in the curriculum and in assemblies e.g. Pupil Ambassador elections, House Captain elections, Playground Sports Buddies, Anti-bullying week, RE curriculum, class reflections, thinking tasks, Talking partners and playtime buddies.
- Fostering good relations by providing enrichment opportunities e.g. Family Fun events (FoNS), visits to a range of places of worship, visiting artists, specialist teachers in music, dance and sports, a variety of external trips that extend an understanding of positive role models and past events.
- Ensuring that Newborough CE Primary School is seen as an active school within our local community e.g. taking part in Choir festivals, participation in sports events, fund-raising initiatives and charity weeks.
- Recognising our responsibilities to the environment near and far through our globally immersive curriculum.
- Providing a variety of extracurricular and cross-school opportunities for children to extend confidence and experience of working with different personalities, cultures and abilities e.g. sporting events, professional performances and working with visiting artists.
To monitor and analyse pupil achievement by race, gender and disability and act on any trends or patterns in the data that require additional support for pupils.
To raise levels of attainment in core subjects for vulnerable learners.
To review levels of parental and pupil engagement in learning and school life, across all activities to ensure equity and fairness in access and engagement.