At Newborough, we are fully committed to ensuring that our children are fit, healthy and active learners. We aspire to be a school that offers every child the opportunity to fulfill their absolute potential, we realise the vital role that sports, and outdoor learning needs to play in realising those goals. We want our children to make healthy choices, to enjoy physical activity and to appreciate its benefits while embodying our core values. Our pupils are exposed to a broad range of high quality activities, to help develop a set of skills that will prepare them to make lifelong, healthy, active lifestyle choices.
Our curriculum for Physical Education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
Key Stage 1 pupils are taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
Key Stage 2 pupils are taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Part of our Sport Premium is used to employ Youth Dreams Project (YDP) to coach alongside our teacher in order to deliver high-quality PE lessons across all year groups. All children receive two hours of PE per week. Our PE Curriculum Overview document details what the pupils will be learning about in PE this year.
At Newborough, we recognise the importance of daily physical activity and how fundamental this is for children’s physical, mental and social wellbeing. We teach our children about the impact that exercise has on their bodies which equips them to make more informed choices about continuing participation as they grow older. Here are just a few of the benefits you might see as a result of more active children:
- Improved mental wellbeing
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Better concentration and behaviour in class
- Helps children feel part of a team
- Enhanced social skills
- Increased resilience
All children have equal access to the curriculum regardless of their gender, race culture or ability. The PE curriculum is taught as a separate subject as well as incorporated within a cross-curricular approach. When teaching physical education staff promote equal opportunities and enable pupils to challenge discrimination and stereotyping.
Extended Sports Provision
Newborough offers a wide variety of after-school clubs, which include many active and sporting activities. During lunchtimes, YDP coaches deliver a variety of sporting activities. The specialist teachers from YDP run our after school clubs. Please see the School Clubs section of our website for further information.
Health and Safety
Health and safety awareness is an integral part of children’s learning in PE at Newborough CofE Primary School. All staff work to agreed codes of practice in PE.
Children, who do not have appropriate kit for safe participation in PE lessons, do not actively take part and if needed their parents are subsequently informed.
- Jewellery and other personal effects should be removed before PE and are the responsibility of the child to look after
- Long hair must be tied back
- A change of appropriate clothing and footwear will be worn in PE lessons
- Bare feet will be used in outdoor sessions
- Outdoor footwear for games activities will be needed
- Suitably fitting shorts and T-shirts will be worn for all indoor work
- Appropriate warm clothing for outdoor activities in colder weather will be required
“I love PE it is my favourite subject because we get to be active and the lessons are really fun!”
“We learn about how to keep ourselves healthy and how to improve our fitness.”
“The teachers make the lessons really fun and everyone is always doing something.”